I have decided to create a resource review, so I can reflect on the sources I have looked at for my journey and exploration of building a landscape within UE4.

Video Tutorial Source 1- World Machine to Unreal

From this video tutorial, I will learn how to use World Machine to create a heightmap and transfer this to the Unreal game engine.  This will help me with my initial aim, to create an environment using unreal, as I need to create a base map for my environment.  This resource effectively explains the process within the software used (world machine and unreal) and how to transfer between them. Although he does not explain the process of turning the maps into textures, which makes it look realistic, such as sand, rock, and grass.

Video Tutorial Source 2- Importing Height Maps from World Machine to UE4

I then found this video which uses World Machine to create and import heightmaps. I definitely found this video helpful, as he was straight to the point and entertaining to listen to. This will help me find a better way of importing heightmaps for my base map to create my environment in Unreal. This resource was effective in explaining the process and helped me understand it. Although I still feel kind of stuck after this step.

Video Tutorial Source 3- Realistic Landscapes UE4

I found this tutorial which allows you to create realistic landscapes without using external software. I wanted to see if this was a more effective way for me. This was effective because it means I do not need to use World Machine or any software, other than Unreal, as he provides the assets needed.

PART 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHOSRRGfe

Part 2 was effective as it taught me how to create landscape painting layers so you can paint on the different textures onto the map, to create more detail.  Although this required a lot of nodes, and looked very intimidating.

I found this the most successful video as it was easy to follow along and didn’t require external software, although this was very time consuming and seems like a very long process.

After this, I will experiment with what I have learned, so that I can see if the videos have positively impacted my learning development, as well as seeing what problems I may face…

March 17, 2020